Long range fuel tanks

<<

Bros

Rock Hopper

Posts: 1219

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:16 pm

Location: In a house in Qld

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Long range fuel tanks

What is the current recommendation for long range tanks. I had an LRA in my old hilux and I want to put a tank in the Ford ranger.

I see LRA, Brown and Davis and Ironman make tanks with Ironman cheapest by $200, so is there any othermanufacturers and is there any to avoid?
<<

Joff

User avatar

Colossal Trailer Trash Robot & ol'nerdy nerd

Posts: 22996

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:40 pm

Location: Tackling the BIG issues

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:57 pm

I have which ever one is made by Out Of Town in Newcastle for ARB.

It hasn't busted yet and I bought it 2nd hand
Club FTE Life Member

Man created God in Man's own image - The poor bastard Image

Bearer of the BLUE Ammo Tin
<<

Zob

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:15 pm

I have no experience with Brown and Davis tanks, but have bought other stuff there. They are 2 degrees shy of useless. Which may account for the large number of complaints about their L/R tanks I have read over the years.
<<

trac44

User avatar

Tired Old Chump

Posts: 14700

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:13 pm

Location: North Arm Cove

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Joff wrote:I have which ever one is made by Out Of Town in Newcastle for ARB.

It hasn't busted yet and I bought it 2nd hand

Long Ranger it is.
Highly recommended.
Cheers
Norm
UZJ100 single cab

Every world is real to the people who live in it! (The Fire Chief)
Life is what happens while you're making other plans (John Lennon)
<<

Dion

Wood Duck

Posts: 30000

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:16 pm

Location: East Coast

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:49 pm

trac44 wrote:
Joff wrote:I have which ever one is made by Out Of Town in Newcastle for ARB.

It hasn't busted yet and I bought it 2nd hand

Long Ranger it is.
Highly recommended.


Just to avoid confusion ... there is "The Long Ranger" and "Long Range Automotive (LRA)".

Long Ranger is the one made by Out of Town, but LRA was what Bros mentioned in his list. Similar names, but not the same (and luckily, Long Ranger does make a tank for the Ford Ranger too).

(just went thru this confusion looking for tanks for the Pajero)
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
<<

Bros

Rock Hopper

Posts: 1219

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:16 pm

Location: In a house in Qld

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Dion wrote:
trac44 wrote:
Joff wrote:I have which ever one is made by Out Of Town in Newcastle for ARB.

It hasn't busted yet and I bought it 2nd hand

Long Ranger it is.
Highly recommended.


Just to avoid confusion ... there is "The Long Ranger" and "Long Range Automotive (LRA)".

Long Ranger is the one made by Out of Town, but LRA was what Bros mentioned in his list. Similar names, but not the same (and luckily, Long Ranger does make a tank for the Ford Ranger too).

(just went thru this confusion looking for tanks for the Pajero)


What did you end up getting?
<<

Dion

Wood Duck

Posts: 30000

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:16 pm

Location: East Coast

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:23 pm

Bros wrote:What did you end up getting?


Still deciding. Will need to do suspension as well so it may wait until we actually need it (i.e. decent trips away from decent fuel, at present the stock tank still gives 500-600km range when towing so its okay). I will probably go Long Ranger as they appear to have a good reputation, although LRAs tank is 20L bigger (80L vs 60L).
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
<<

Bros

Rock Hopper

Posts: 1219

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:16 pm

Location: In a house in Qld

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Dion wrote:
Bros wrote:What did you end up getting?


Still deciding. Will need to do suspension as well so it may wait until we actually need it (i.e. decent trips away from decent fuel, at present the stock tank still gives 500-600km range when towing so its okay). I will probably go Long Ranger as they appear to have a good reputation, although LRAs tank is 20L bigger (80L vs 60L).


Are either available in Brisbane as I will be down there next week.
<<

Rumpig

User avatar

Landy Lover

Posts: 6076

Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:53 pm

Location: Boganville

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:52 pm

Bros wrote:
Dion wrote:
Bros wrote:What did you end up getting?


Still deciding. Will need to do suspension as well so it may wait until we actually need it (i.e. decent trips away from decent fuel, at present the stock tank still gives 500-600km range when towing so its okay). I will probably go Long Ranger as they appear to have a good reputation, although LRAs tank is 20L bigger (80L vs 60L).


Are either available in Brisbane as I will be down there next week.
ARB sell the longranger brand, but usually is a decent wait for arrival of stock if you order one from memory. LRA are on ebay if you search long range tank, here's a link to a Ranger one, but not sure if it's the model your after http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Long-Range-Fuel- ... 19bc20e420
i'm trying to think of the brand to steer clear of, a mate bought one and had troubles with it last year on our Simpson trip (tank was new and cracked), and the guys at Mt. Dare said they are regularly repairing that brand of tank. it's none of the names you listed above if that's any help :oops: :lol: :lol:
<<

Dion

Wood Duck

Posts: 30000

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:16 pm

Location: East Coast

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:10 pm

Bros wrote:
Dion wrote:
Bros wrote:What did you end up getting?


Still deciding. Will need to do suspension as well so it may wait until we actually need it (i.e. decent trips away from decent fuel, at present the stock tank still gives 500-600km range when towing so its okay). I will probably go Long Ranger as they appear to have a good reputation, although LRAs tank is 20L bigger (80L vs 60L).


Are either available in Brisbane as I will be down there next week.


As rumpig said, pretty much only on an order in basis.
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
<<

Bros

Rock Hopper

Posts: 1219

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:16 pm

Location: In a house in Qld

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:09 am

Now you have confused me as I thought I had an LRA tank but it could have been a Long Ranger.
<<

Bushie

User avatar

Desert Driver

Posts: 3722

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:16 pm

Location: Sydney

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:18 am

I've got a Long Ranger sill tank in the Landy and other than a problem caused when it was installed by ARB it's been good. The guys up at Out of Town were extremely helpful when I was chasing a short circuit(turned out not to be the tank wiring).

Mate had a Brown Davis tank in his Patrol about 10 years ago that gave him all sorts of grief.



Bushie
<<

Dion

Wood Duck

Posts: 30000

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:16 pm

Location: East Coast

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:27 am

Bros wrote:Now you have confused me as I thought I had an LRA tank but it could have been a Long Ranger.


That's why I mentioned it. People often get them confused.
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
<<

Joff

User avatar

Colossal Trailer Trash Robot & ol'nerdy nerd

Posts: 22996

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:40 pm

Location: Tackling the BIG issues

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:00 pm

Just to add to the light intencity being shon up OoT's beehind. When i got mine it was sans the U bolts that support the front of it. I was in western Newy for work one day so dropped in. the dude gave me all the hardware I needed to install the tank that I'd bought second hand off LCOOL.

Pretty good I reckon. Basicaly garrantee'd me as a future customer if i ever find the need for another (If I don't happen across a 2nd handy first that is - tight arse that i am :lol: )
Club FTE Life Member

Man created God in Man's own image - The poor bastard Image

Bearer of the BLUE Ammo Tin
<<

Wahoon

User avatar

Paddock Basher

Posts: 343

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:16 pm

Location: Quorn

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:32 pm

My '03 RA has the Brown Davis tank fitted as pre-delivery, and now 170000km later, have had no problem whatsoever. And judging by the character scratches and dents on the underside of the tank, it hasn't had an easy life.
My '05 RA has the ARB supplied LRA tank (fitted at about 40000km). Probably somewhere about the 85-90000km mark I had to tighten the clamps around the filling hose and vent hose, but been no problem either.
I prefer the LRA tank only as it has a 9L advantage over the BD tank. I'm happy with both.
The predescessor to the RA's, the '00 TF (R9) I had a 4WD Systems 125L tank in that, and for the 60000km I had it initially, no problems. Then I brought it back and did another 20000km with no probs again.
Rodeo, the GMH genuine NISSOTA recovery vehicle!
#1 - 2003 Rodeo, 3.0 Turbo Intercooled Diesel 4x4 with Airlocked front end and Good Engel fridges!
#2 - 2005 Rodeo, 3.0 Turbo Intercooled Diesel 4x4 with Airlocked front end and Good Engel fridges!

Return to Technical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests