Hilux '98 ... rear main engine seal repair :( advice please

<<

afroshane

City Slicker

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Hilux '98 ... rear main engine seal repair :( advice please

hi everyone

i unfortunely noticed yesterday that my rear main engine seal is leaking. i have a 98 hilux diesel.

i am looking at starting to do work on my car myself, as i am interested in it. i am no mechanic but im not afraid to look at something new and give it a go. i have a bit of cash saved up and want to buy a few tools (plus grab some of dads).

basically what i am leading too..... is changing this seal a massive job (taking out the transmission, fly wheel etc)? is this task a bit big for a beginner?

at this point in time i am keen to give it a go, but please help me make a decision.

cheers
shane
<<

GOM

CEO GOMipedia International

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:20 pm

prob would pay to do the clutch as well while your at it
Joe wrote: WA is probably my favourite state of all as it has everything. Gorgeous coastlines, towering forests, deserts, gorges and all of it without the population burden that suffocates much of the east coast.

<<

digger_24

Dirt Road Driver

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:24 pm

You never learn anything if you never do it

ive been workin on cars for a while now and everyday i did something new so give it a go u have nothing to lose

but like GOM said do a clutch at the same time and get the flywheel machined aswell

i recommend a excedy clutch a bit more expensive but worth the money and a flywheel machine will eliminate any clutch shudder

but with the gearbox just take ur time and remember what goes where and u should be fine and the rear main is easy to do just dont mark the crank as it will cause the rear main to fail again

but r u sure it rear main and not tappet cover/head/sump or a hose just something to look at
96 cruiser ute
33 inch muddies
turbo 12psi (105rwhp)
3 inch exhaust
3 inch lift
arb air compressor
rear locker
front mount intercooler
<<

Glenn Torrens

Desert Driver

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:08 am

Put some Wynns stop-leak goop in it
<<

Joe

Simpson Trekker

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:47 pm

Glenn Torrens wrote:Put some Wynns stop-leak goop in it

Glenn! Is this the "dodgy mechanic" speaking or the "got a vested interest in selling new(er) 4WDs" magazine chap speaking?

You know that goop is only ever really used when you are going to flog the beast to some unsuspecting purchaser!
Cop You Later
Joe

2004 ST-L Patrol with ZD30 and sometimes with a caravan.

The Big Bang Theory - Is this something to do with owning a 3 litre Patrol?

Life is a tale, told by an idiot.
Full of sound and fury yet signifying nothing.
(King Lear)
<<

shagga

City Slicker

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:21 pm

well done joe, enough said!

yeh replace the clutch while your at it, always machine the flywheel when you replace a clutch. make sure you use loctite on all the flywheel and clutch bolts, and tailshafts.

replacing a rear main seal is more delicate than hard, best way is to get 2 small self-tappers, drill tiny pilot holes in the seal and screw the self-tappers in, then use them to pull it out. the MAIN thing is to NOT score anything, or you'll have to get a speed-e sleeve to hopefully fix it, which is still never as good. make sure the new seal goes in even.

your clutch pressure plate is probably a diaphragm type - like a big circle with heaps of fingers going from the outside of the circle into the middle of it. make sure you evenly tighten this up right around the circle for a while until it locks up - you'll be pushing those fingers in too.

hope this helps
kids in the backseat cause accidents, accidents in the backseat cause kids.... so get a ute!
<<

afroshane

City Slicker

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:32 pm

thanks for your replys.

i have decided that i am going to give it a go and do it myself. and well if i get stuck i guess i can always jump back on here and ask someone who knows.

i will also do the clutch when im at it.

cheers
<<

Glenn Torrens

Desert Driver

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:27 pm

triple post!!
Last edited by Glenn Torrens on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Glenn Torrens

Desert Driver

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:33 pm

double post
<<

Glenn Torrens

Desert Driver

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:38 pm

Glenn Torrens wrote:
joe wrote:

Glenn! Is this the "dodgy mechanic" speaking or the "got a vested interest in selling new(er) 4WDs" magazine chap speaking?

You know that goop is only ever really used when you are going to flog the beast to some unsuspecting purchaser!

I own and drive several classic cars (old Holdens and VWs) and am generally wary of 'snake oils'. But, the Wynns stuff has reduced or just about eliminated oil leaks on several occasions. Seriously. It's not an 'instant' fix (give it at least 1000km to work), and won't plug cracks in sumps or other serious problems, but for cars that are old or have been sitting for years, it has worked for me. For about $10, it's worth a shot
<<

Jeeeps

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:49 pm

...edited...
Last edited by Jeeeps on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Way2go

Colossal Death Robot

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:39 am

Jeeeps wrote:If it's not dripping on the ground then just forget about it. :wink:

cheers

Actually - yes.

My 80 has a minor rear main seal leak that has been on the 'watch' list for about 2 years, and still isn't bad enough to warrant any work being done on it.
Steve Limbrick

120 series V6 Grande - with lots of stuff.

Bathurst
<<

Glenn Torrens

Desert Driver

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:09 am

Way2go wrote:
Jeeeps wrote:If it's not dripping on the ground then just forget about it. :wink:

cheers

Actually - yes.

My 80 has a minor rear main seal leak that has been on the 'watch' list for about 2 years, and still isn't bad enough to warrant any work being done on it.

try some of the Wynns goop...
<<

Jeeeps

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:43 am

[...edited...
Last edited by Jeeeps on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Punter

Cape York Patroller

Post Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:02 am

Jeeeps wrote:
Way2go wrote:

cheers

Actually - yes.

This is a normal factory fault on TJ Wranglers. I had my rear main seal replaced twice under warranty and once out of warranty when i had the clutch replaced last year. All times the rear main seal has started to get oily again after several months. It doesn't drip any oil onto the concrete below so it's not a landrover.

cheers

Fixed!!!:wink:
CLUB who gives a toss

Return to Technical