Balladonia to the Cape Arid National Park

<<

GOM

CEO GOMipedia International

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:24 pm

Balladonia to the Cape Arid National Park

This is an alterative route mostly for those wanting to see Probably Australia finest southernn beaches East of Esperance after crossing the Nullabor without Heading South fom Norseman to Esperance then headng East and Backtracking back to Esperance.

Balladonia is the last roadhouse (or the first depending) on the Nullabor - along with the obligitory crap accomadation and overpriced fuel it has a skylab museum with as muchSkylab landed in the general vacinity.
Accross the road heading South it all starts
At about
51H
Parmango road veers off to the SW. Many people mistakingly take this as it is the most direct way to Esperance coming out at Condingup but it misses the best spots!

A bit further at
51H
Is the turn off to the East for Balbinya Homested wich is about 12 k off the track.
It consists of several old station buildings which are filled with old relics. Nearby is a low granite rock which would have been used for a water supply and it has a grave of a former resident there. If weather is inclemant the buildings come with fire laces and are dry

Abot another 15 k from that turnoff is the turnoff to the West to Juranda Rockhole
51H
This is a large granite rockhole with a claypan in the middle.
When I was there there were 2 groups of German Travellers there - didnt see any one else for the trip - gotta love the Germans desire to get out there!

Another 13k or so is Pine Hill. This was on old outstation and has a dam as well as a couple of lonley graves

The next stop you cant miss as the massive Mt Ragged appears. It has basic campgrounds with a dunny. The climb to the top is very steep and the visitors book confims that not many do it (my name is there 2wice about 12 monthsapart without much in between

Continuing on is the cape arid Park Boundary at
51H

the scenic route is to take the cleard line direcly to fisheries road
which gos via Mt Baring
or you can follow the main track

From Fisheries road you can work your way West to Esperance
via Poison Creek, Thomas River, Duke of Orleans, Dunns Rocks and Cape Le Grande

For more nformation on the area the Book
Challenge in Isolation used to be available from the Condingup General store possibly also Esperace TB
Joe wrote: WA is probably my favourite state of all as it has everything. Gorgeous coastlines, towering forests, deserts, gorges and all of it without the population burden that suffocates much of the east coast.

<<

croozerute

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:29 pm

Re: Balladonia to the Cape Arid National Park

get outmore wrote:
Balladonia is the last roadhouse (or the first depending) on the Nullabor - along with the obligitory crap accomadation and overpriced fuel

good trip report gom .. but as for that comment, perhaps you could get out there and sell it cheaper?

i used to run a roadhouse on the nullarbor, and nothing got my goat more than people that whinged about the price.. in the middle of nowhere :roll:
like fuel just magically appears out there.. or maybe the truckies that deliver it should work for nothing? :lol:

it certainly is good country through there gom 8)
<<

GOM

CEO GOMipedia International

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:36 pm

Re: Balladonia to the Cape Arid National Park

croozerute wrote:
get outmore wrote:
Balladonia is the last roadhouse (or the first depending) on the Nullabor - along with the obligitory crap accomadation and overpriced fuel

good trip report gom .. but as for that comment, perhaps you could get out there and sell it cheaper?

i used to run a roadhouse on the nullarbor, and nothing got my goat more than people that whinged about the price.. in the middle of nowhere :roll:
like fuel just magically appears out there.. or maybe the truckies that deliver it should work for nothing? :lol:

it certainly is good country through there gom 8)

Yea it is a cheap shot - it has however significantly dearer than Norseman which has some of the cheapest fuel in the region - still I guess they dont run genny power or truck water in (I dont think Bd do this anyway)
The comments were more for mass apeal as If I want fuel i buy it and as for accomadaton whats wrong with a swag - if you stay there all you should be asking for is clean bed and a shower
Joe wrote: WA is probably my favourite state of all as it has everything. Gorgeous coastlines, towering forests, deserts, gorges and all of it without the population burden that suffocates much of the east coast.

<<

bockstar

Wilderness Wanderer

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:58 am

Great Report. That shot from the summit is breathtaking! Well done.
1997 80 Series 1FZ-FE. ARB bullbar, IPF Driving lights, OME Suspension, Uniden UHF, Safari Snorkel
<<

syco8

Rock Hopper

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:21 pm

Looks like a great trip, greats pics to
Toyota Landcruiser 80 series, 60ltr waeco, uhf, lightforce 240, dvd player,285/75/16 Goodyear MTR Wranglers, 3" lift
<<

HoldenSS

Desert Driver

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:05 pm

Nice report and pictures, very enjoyable read...

Looking forward to getting over there ourselves and experiencing the area.

Shaun
An SS Commodore for the G Forces and a 100Series for the Off Roading and Water Courses..
<<

Slider

Cape York Patroller

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:37 pm

Great report and Pics :D Another place to add to my must visit list.
Cheers,
Mark :-)
2008 Purrjero 3.2 VR-X.....

www.tailoredphotography.com.au
www.trekaboutphotography.com

Return to Trip Reports