Waeco Fridge Fuse Problem Information

<<

arofs1

City Slicker

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Waeco Fridge Fuse Problem Information

I have not started this thread to re-open the Waeco V Engel debate, but just to offer a bit of information that may save some people time and money trying to fix a simple problem.

While my CF50 Waeco operated fine on 240 volts, it started operating a bit erratically on 12volts and my fault finding indicated a poor contact or similar voltage drop, so I cleaned all plugs, fuses etc., but the fault remained. After several other checks and fixes failed to solve the problem I rang Waeco and when I told them the symptoms they immediately said it was a common problem caused by a faulty fuse on the circuit board.

As mine is still under warranty it will be fixed free of charge and I am confident that all similar problems will be dealt with as a warranty claim, despite the age of the unit , although I was told that nearly all have created problems within 2 years of the 3 year warranty.

Symptoms: The compressor starts running and (for me) after about 40 seconds the compressor stops, but the fan keeps going, so it still sounds like the compressor is running and then the red error light flicks slowly for a while and then the compressor starts up again for a minute or two and then stops again and the fan keeps going and this continued indefinitely as described above.

This is my second Waeco with the first one still going fine after 8 years and any dealings I have had with Waeco have been very positive and I hope that continues now after the ownership takeover I think I recently read about on this forum.

Brian DJ
<<

cewilson

A Yokel

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:54 pm

Cheers.

I've got the 80litre and thankfully had no problems so far - 5 years and counting!
Mine - Landrover Defender
Hers - Toyota Prado
<<

swifty

Paddock Basher

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:55 pm

I too had the same problem with the same symptoms. Mine is a CF-60.

I rang Waeco and they diagnosed the problem over the phone. I took it in and they replaced the fuse and another (unknown) circuit board. Picked it up again the next day.

My fridge was 18 mths old when this happened.

Problem was a bummer but the service was good. They also replaced a few surface-rusted bolts on the handles at the same time.
2008 GXL Prado auto D4D with tatts and piercings.
<<

Wal

Rock Hopper

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:17 am

Re: Waeco Fridge Fuse Problem Information

arofs1 wrote:This is my second Waeco with the first one still going fine after 8 years and any dealings I have had with Waeco have been very positive and I hope that continues now after the ownership takeover I think I recently read about on this forum.

Brian DJ

Is this an FF series fridge?
Cheers

Wal
<<

arofs1

City Slicker

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:01 am

Is this an FF series fridge?

Wal, I have given my old fridge to my son and don't have the details with me, but from memory it was a Waeco Coolmatic FF40 I bought in 2001 which was originally the old Indel brand design.

I had a couple of difficulties with it, buy nearly all related to poor electrical contact on the cord plug. I had it apart a couple of times and fixed the problems myself, so if I can help email me on bacdj2@yahoo.com.au.
Brian DJ
<<

GU4500

Expedition Maestro

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:48 am

Re: Waeco Fridge Fuse Problem Information

arofs1 wrote:Symptoms: The compressor starts running and (for me) after about 40 seconds the compressor stops, but the fan keeps going, so it still sounds like the compressor is running and then the red error light flicks slowly for a while and then the compressor starts up again for a minute or two and then stops again and the fan keeps going and this continued indefinitely as described above.

The flashing error light has a pattern - which is to diagnose the error message.

I will have to find my list of the codes and post it up later.

I have a danfoss compressor based fridge (not made by Waeco) and it had a similar problem which apparently was caused by a blocked capilliary from memory.

This can also occur when the power supplied to the unit isn't up to voltage, I hit this as well when my 12v transformer crapped itself, it would test at 13.8v with no load with the multimeter, and would deliver 13.8v for just long enough to start the compressor, then dropped back, would somehow recover, volts came up, compressor would try to start again, etc.....
"There's always something waiting at the end of the road, if you aren't willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
2005 Toyota Landcruiser V8 4.7L
1998 Nissan GU Patrol 4500
2011 Subaru Liberty GT
Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?
<<

RallyPaj

Dirt Road Driver

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:26 pm

Re: Is this an FF series fridge?

Just before Christmas I purchased a new 50ltr model. While the unit itself works very well, I've had two niggly little problems. Nothing major though.

1) Poor contact between the plug and the cig lighter socket.
arofs1 wrote:I had a couple of difficulties with it, buy nearly all related to poor electrical contact on the cord plug.
I've also experienced this with my previous fridges and other electrical equipment. Vibrations shake them loose and thin films of dust and dirt penetrate compromising the plug and socket making good contact.
In the past I've overcome this problem by replacing cig lighter style plugs with more reliable snap-lock type connectors.

2) The locking handle appears to have been fitted incorrectly preventing it from locking shut. This one I'll get Waeco to fix for me. I'm sure it will require only a 10sec re-fit of the handle and all will be good.

The first item here is an occupation hazzard of someone who goes 4WDing almost every second weekend and removes and replaces the fridge between each outing. Easily overcome.
The second item is just one of those unfortunate things and easily fixed.

All my previous experiences with Waeco products have been positive. They've been reliable and worked like a charm!
Mitsubishi Pajero VR-X 3.2Ltr D-ID
ARB Bullbar, Lovell Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Rock-Sliders, Skid Plate, Safari Snorkel, Narva lights, Cargo Barrier, Pirahna Triple Battery, Drawer System, Water Tank, ARB Towbar, BFG A/Ts, Waeco, Megellan, TomTom
<<

cewilson

A Yokel

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:27 pm

Which plug are you looking at? I've got the same problem and was going to hard wire it to the fuse box in the battery compartment. However if I can use a different type of plug that will handle the current and not shake loose that would be good.

Fridge is the 80 litre (I get a little thirsty) :wink:
Hers - Toyota Prado
<<

RallyPaj

Dirt Road Driver

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:54 pm

Hey mate, how goes it?

The type of plug I've used previously is the same as the connector plug that comes standard on the power cord of most UHF radios.

Narva Part No. 56252
http://www.narva.com.au/Terminals_9.html

Works like a charm. Never rattles loose, and is easy to unplug so removing your fridge after a trip is easy (so no insensitive bugger breaks into ya car steals it).

However when replacing the cig lighter plug it is important to enure you wire in a fuse equal in capacity to the one contained inside the original plug.
Again Narva Part No. 54403BL is ideal for this since blade fuses as sooo much easier to use and more readily abvailable.
http://www.narva.com.au/Fuses_14.html

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
ARB Bullbar, Lovell Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Rock-Sliders, Skid Plate, Safari Snorkel, Narva lights, Cargo Barrier, Pirahna Triple Battery, Drawer System, Water Tank, ARB Towbar, BFG A/Ts, Waeco, Megellan, TomTom
<<

GU4500

Expedition Maestro

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:47 pm

Another type of plug that works well is the Cannon style audio / microphone plugs......

Strange idea, but they have solid pins and are have been tested by the company that made my fridge and can also handle a decent size cable soldered into them.

Look like this, can also get male plugs, etc as needed.

Linky
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... BCATID=574
"There's always something waiting at the end of the road, if you aren't willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
2005 Toyota Landcruiser V8 4.7L
1998 Nissan GU Patrol 4500
2011 Subaru Liberty GT
Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?
<<

Bushie

Desert Driver

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:27 pm

Been using these plugs for nearly 30 years in my 4WDs

ImageImage

IIRC they are rated 32V 15amp

http://www.allabout12volt.com.au/cat04/plug.html

Bushie
<<

cewilson

A Yokel

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:14 pm

RallyPaj wrote:Hey mate, how goes it?

The type of plug I've used previously is the same as the connector plug that comes standard on the power cord of most UHF radios.

Narva Part No. 56252
http://www.narva.com.au/Terminals_9.html

Works like a charm. Never rattles loose, and is easy to unplug so removing your fridge after a trip is easy (so no insensitive bugger breaks into ya car steals it).

However when replacing the cig lighter plug it is important to enure you wire in a fuse equal in capacity to the one contained inside the original plug.
Again Narva Part No. 54403BL is ideal for this since blade fuses as sooo much easier to use and more readily abvailable.
http://www.narva.com.au/Fuses_14.html

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Yeah going not too bad at the moment, apart from having to go back to work again on Monday! :cry:

Thanks for the tips, that should work nicely. From memory the fridge uses 5amps max at any one time, so it should be easy enough to do.

Cheers
Chris
Hers - Toyota Prado
<<

Wal

Rock Hopper

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Is this an FF series fridge?

arofs1 wrote:Wal, I have given my old fridge to my son and don't have the details with me, but from memory it was a Waeco Coolmatic FF40 I bought in 2001 which was originally the old Indel brand design.

I had a couple of difficulties with it, buy nearly all related to poor electrical contact on the cord plug. I had it apart a couple of times and fixed the problems myself, so if I can help email me on bacdj2@yahoo.com.au.
Brian DJ

This is what I've got and it's running perfectly but I appreciate the offer.
Cheers

Wal
<<

cewilson

A Yokel

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:20 pm

Hey Bushie, I love that site - got some handy stuff in there indeed.

See here

One problem - but it's common with a lot of companies now - how bloody hard is it to put a base price for your products onto a website! :?

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by cewilson on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hers - Toyota Prado
<<

RallyPaj

Dirt Road Driver

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:32 pm

cewilson wrote:From memory the fridge uses 5amps max at any one time, so it should be easy enough to do.

Chris I believe you are right but check the fuse in the cig charger plug anyways. My 32Ltr Waeco was a 5amp draw but it actually had a 6amp fuse in the plug.
Go figure!
Next

Return to Technical