Off-road gps for android

<<

Dave W

Forum Chaplain

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:06 am

Off-road gps for android

Read the various discussions about ozi and mm but I would like some thoughts on comparative pros and cons.

Some say ozi is more powerful, others say mm is powerful enough.

I will be running it on my galaxy s2 because that's what I have, so lets leave the whole apple vs android thing in the bucket where it belongs.

I would like to track drives for uploading, import drives to follow, and plan drives on map to follow.
Only the off road stuff, as the on board stuff does fine on road.
I have pc at home and am happy to trip plan on pc and transfer if need be

Thanks.
Romans 3: 23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Romans 6  23  For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Personal attacks are the tools of someone who probably doesn't have a very good point to make, or of someone who holds a belief that has no foundation in reasoned thought. Quoted from another forum.
<<

GOM

CEO GOMipedia International

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:33 am

Re: Off-road gps for android

thats where ozi is so much better- everyone has it so you can share tracks. $25

I can supply you with all the maps you would ever need for it if your a bit short on maps

you need to go to the ozi explorer website to find how to install the app - its not just in the market. might as well put ANDROZIC on while your in the market though. i initially loved it and it is an OZI clone but it just had a few bugs that spilt it - mainly track creation was unstable
Joe wrote: WA is probably my favourite state of all as it has everything. Gorgeous coastlines, towering forests, deserts, gorges and all of it without the population burden that suffocates much of the east coast.

<<

DanielS

City Slicker

Post Wed May 16, 2012 12:22 am

Ozi, ozi and one more time ozi! mm can sometimes works so "well" that you would regret that you chose it.
<<

boobook

Country Driver

Post Wed May 16, 2012 8:10 am

It doesn't matter if you get Memory Map, oziexplorer or Harry's map system. They all support GPX files which is what you should use for exchanging tracks, waypoints etc, It is the most complete schema and is XML compatible for other applications.

As to other aspects there are certainly more "free" maps available for Ozi. :roll: But if you buy maps then the choice is a bit different. Ozi also has a really neat feature where you can send your position via sms.

Memory Map for Android, is free and they have recently fixed the annoying bugs in the Beta. Ozi is in Beta too and is $25 from memory.

If you just want the maps for your android device then MM is less expensive. For example Hema is $180 for the Ozi version which you can copy to anywhere and about $135 for MM on 2 Android devices. For 2 x PC and 2 x Android / apple it is about $190 so more expensive.

Both are free to trial so I would try them for yourself. I am a big fan of Memory Map but that's mainly because I love the PC version and are down that path with the maps etc already.

It is kind of a Nikon / Cannon argument.
<<

T0Y0TA

City Slicker

Post Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:45 pm

DanielS wrote:Ozi, ozi and one more time ozi! mm can sometimes works so "well" that you would regret that you chose it.

I agree, I found Ozi the most usefull option for my Android tablet. So many maps and information available everywhere. I bought the card https://off-road-gps.com/OziExplorer-Software/oziexplorer-android and had no problems setting it up.
<<

prichens

Freaky cartoon caricature

Post Thu May 26, 2016 10:52 pm

I have been using Ozie for Android on my samsung 10" tablet for a few years now and love it!
On of the features I love is the ability to create new screens for it and the ability to import track files between the tablet and my laptop.

If you want a different screen design let me know.
Peter - VK4FSD
Brisbane Australia
Also TroopiePete on other forums
Toyota 78 Series Troopy 4.2 TD Locked, loaded & Cruising.
River City 4WD Club (Brisbane) Vice President
<<

Andy55725

City Slicker

Post Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:54 am

Well, I have been using MOTOsafety OBD GPS Tracker for over a year and it works perfect!
https://www.bestadvisor.com/best-car-gps-trackers
The product came with clear step by step instructions. Installation was very simple. Even if you have some issues, just visit website for more detailed informaion.
Accurate in speed, location, times. There is also an app for both android and apple. I have an Iphone so this worked out great. I like that it is dual platform in this area because I may change phones in the next few months. Thats really cool!
Overall, the purchase worth the money. Highly recommend

Return to GPS